The ECH Provings subcommittee has set itself the task of enhancing the conduct of good-quality provings in the EU.
In 2004 the subcommittee published the ‘Provings Guidelines’, that provide guidance in accordance with accepted standards in the homeopathic community and at the same time comply with EU regulations on Good Pharmaceutical and Clinical Practice.
In addition, criteria have been worked out for provings that fulfil the quality standards of the ECH. They have the form of a checklist along the Guidelines.
Based on this work the subcommittee now aims at stimulating the use of the guidelines in the EU by facilitating the conduct of provings in various fields:
- formulating position papers on specific questions, such as on the similarities and differences of conventional phase I clinical trials and homeopathic provings (pdf).
- providing support to proving coordinators on methodological, practical and organisation level, such as volunteer insurance, training of coordinators and supervisors, implementing educational activities, etc.
- developing and maintaining a database of provings that provides information on all kinds of design elements and publication data of provings.
- developing criteria and guidelines on the verification of proving symptoms through internal validation within all provings of a particular remedy, and external validation through clinical verification, in cooperation with the ECH Research subcommittee.
- providing advice on request for persons and institution both within the EU and beyond.
As more and more provings have been conducted during recent years, the documentation and availability of this important material has become a major issue. The subcommittee has been working on the possibilities for connecting and disseminating information about provings on the web. It has now established a database, providing information on all sorts of design elements and publication data of provings.
In addition to extending this work the subcommittee will establish more regular and formal contacts with the national homeopathic associations that are interested to promote good-quality provings in their country.
The subcommittee meets twice a year, every time in a different European city and every two years in Brussels during the ECH General Assembly. It works on various subjects in between.
The Provings subcommittee strives at a larger group of colleagues who want to study in depth the questions at hand. It therefore encourages homeopaths who are interested or experienced in provings to share their ideas and insights with us and join us in our meetings. Whoever plans to attend one of our meetings, is expected to request our introductory package and read that before the meeting, so as to reduce the information gap between ‘new’ and ‘old’ members. If you consider to participate in this work, please contact the co-ordinator.
If there are any other questions or suggestions, do not hesitate to contact the co-ordinator of the group.
Dr Jean Pierre Jansen
9737 LG Groningen